Fine Jewelry Guide
Our fine jewelry guide consists of expert tips that can help you find the perfect wedding ring or band, select the most ideal pair of earrings, and learn more about precious metals, pearls, and gemstones. This will help you find the perfect gift for someone you love on their special day.
- Studs – Stud style earrings are one of the most popular styles of earrings. They are available in a series of sizes that range from small to large. Due to their simplicity, they can easily complement any attire and easily transition from day to evening wear.
- Hoops – Hoops are a traditional style of earrings that can be seen worn in many different cultures in all times periods from Victorian Europe to tribal Africa. Hoops add a soft touch to any style and are fit for any event.
- Dangle – Dangle earrings or otherwise known as drop earrings add an elegant style to any outfit. They will elongate the wearer’s face and neck and are often available in a series of styles and that will showcase your personal style.
Pendant and Necklace Guide
- Pendant – A gift of a pendant or necklace is a statement of love and endearment. There are many cultures that gift their partners with an engagement necklace instead of a ring. This custom may have changed over time but presenting someone with a necklace still holds as much sentiment as giving them a ring.
- Necklace – A necklace can be worn as a form of identification or simply be used as an accessory. There are also people who wear a necklace as a form of protection and necklaces are available in many types of metals like gold, silver, diamonds, platinum, and semi-precious gemstones.
When looking for a necklace, narrow down your options by choosing the style that you prefer the most. Pendants such as a large gemstone or a smaller charm are decorative items that hang loosely from a necklace or chain. The focus of a pendant generally lies with a decorative element that hangs whereas necklaces often consist of a more integrated design element that is repeated throughout the whole jewelry piece. Necklaces can have more than one pendant attached to them or none at all. Pendants and necklaces are available in a variety of lengths and they vary in accordance with the size of the wearer.
- Choker – 14 to 16 inches
- Matinee – 22 to 33 inches
- Princess – 18 to 20 inches
- Sautoir / Rope – 35 inches or longer
- Opera – 30 to 35 inches
Metal in Fine Jewelry
There are many different types of metals that are used in fine jewelry. Each metal has its own advantages and disadvantages as well as characteristics that dictate its price and care techniques.
- Gold – Gold is a timeless metal that is highly durable and will not corrode, rust, or tarnish. Jewelers have preferred gold throughout the ages for its lustrous beauty and versatility of use.
Platinum – Platinum is regarded as the preeminent metal for fine jewelry and it is 35 times rarer than gold. It is naturally bright in color.